Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Allison - Blog 13

ANNUNCIATION GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH
Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright


My initial impression of this building is that it looks like a giant alien saucer on a landing bay. I like the way it looks, but I wanted to find out if it was in any way similar to other Greek Orthodox churches in existence. I found that, in a way, it looks a little bit similar to the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation in Baltimore, Maryland, which has a cone roof instead of the dome roof that this structure has. The building looks quite simple, yet elegant with its very modern design.



The interior of the building keeps to the circular theme, with the attention drawn to the pulpit (altar). Light is let inside through the beautiful stain glass. I also noticed the circular glass openings near the roof that also let light into the building. These openings go all around the top, forming a halo.

No comments:

Post a Comment