Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Tow - Blog 16



The Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore is located in Florence, Italy and stand well above the other buildings in the city. We watched a film over this building in class, and I have also been to the structure in person during that european tour I mentioned in my Eiffel Tower blog. Similar to the Eiffel Tower, I had a desire to climb to the top of the dome. It was even more fun than the Eiffel Tower, because to climb to the top of the cathedral/basilica you have to climb this winding staircase that is very cool. The staircase, if I remember correctly, is in the "hollow" area between the inside and outside of the dome. I think I remember the ceiling being fairly low in some places while climbing. It was more exciting that climbing the Eiffel tower because this staircase was less predictable, enclosed, made of stone, and felt so much older. The view from the top was pretty majestic, offering a great view of the country side, but I felt like all the buildings in Florence look similar from above, brown. The view in Paris had more variety. The facade of this building was impressive as well, I was initially a little surprised by the color choices of the facade, as that greenish color isn't used too often on buildings. The paintings on the inside, especially the dome's interior, are very intricate and I spent many minutes looking at them and could spend many many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment