Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Tow - Blog 11



Goes without saying, but this is the Eiffel Tower located in Paris, France. Initially used as an entering arch for the 1889 World Fair, this metal gargantuan was hated by quite a few people. I have a personal experience with the Eiffel Tower because during my sophomore year of high school, I was visiting France, Italy, and Monaco, and when we got to the Eiffel Tower, I decided to climb it as high as it could go. I got a decent leg work out, but to be honest, it isn't that bad. The view from the top, or as high as stairs would allow me, was pretty nice. I got to see a lot of Paris that I couldn't cover on foot in the duration that I was there. I also didn't know until I was climbing the structure, but there are actually shops and restaurants up there. I bought postcards and sent them to various family members and friends, my grandmother still has the one I sent her attached to the inside side of a closet door, with other pictures and the like. Hard to believe that the people of Paris despised the building for being a monstrosity, but has come to be one of France's biggest tourism money makers. I guess it's good for them that it didn't get torn down like so many people wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment