Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Allison - Blog 6

OLYMPIC STADIUM
Montreal, Canada

Architect:


Le Stade, Parc olympique de Montreal is the largest stadium in its maximum seating capacity. It was built in the mid- 1970s as the main venue for the Summer Olympics, and was nicknames "The Big O" both for its donut shape and the permanent component of the stadiums roof. The roof looks a little bit like a suspended tent to me, and how it is being held in place by the support cables is remarkable.

From doing some research, I found that the stadium had issues in the past, and support beams snapped causing a 55-long-ton concrete slab to fall onto the exterior walkway. I am not sure if the building might have issues in the future, and I certainly hope not. The building looks remarkable. I also has the Worlds tallest incline tower!

No comments:

Post a Comment