Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Allison - Blog 9

FALLING WATER
Architect: Frank Lloyd Wright



When I first saw this building hanging over the waterfall, I felt like the structure was somehow disrupting the environment, and that its existence was upsetting the flow of its surroundings. It struck me as a very interesting piece of art. After staring at several pictures for long enough, I realized that it actually complements the natural elements around it. The light ochre and Cherokee red used throughout the structure gives it the unified and organic composition that Frank Lloyd Wright intended, and the stone masonry helps it blend with the bedrock.
The cantilevers look a little bit scary.

I read up on the major structural repairs in 2002 strengthening the cantilevers to prevent collapse and future deflection. This house is exactly where it needs to be, and looks so peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment