Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Ferguson- Blog 14

The Salk Institute for Biological Studies

This is a very interesting building designed by Louis Kahn. This is definitely one of my least favorite buildings that was done by him. It feels to be very uninviting and cold. He continued to use his usual style of using large gray concrete walls and repeated geometric shapes, this one primarily using rectangles as the shape. I will say one thing I like about this structure is the use of wood occasionally where there are windows into rooms. I have noticed that he tends to create very symmetrical buildings and this is a very prime example of that characteristic. He creates a space in the middle for sitting and meeting, however in my opinion he failed to create a reason to come to this place to meet or sit for a spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment