Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Ferguson- Blog 15

First Unitarian Church of Rochester

This is the only church that I could find in my research of Louis Kahn's architectural career. This is sort of a different building than Kahn usually designs, but it definitely has characteristics of what he usually creates. One of the differences in this building is that it is not perfectly symmetrical, but it has many parts that look very symmetrical. Another difference is that it is a red brick building, a material which he only utilized on this one and the Phillips Exeter Academy Library. Ways that it is similar to all the other buildings he has created are that it uses a rhythm of geometrical shapes along the exterior and the use of gray concrete blocks on the inside walls of the main worship area. I like this building, because it reminds me of churches that I attended when I was younger. I also enjoy the way it pours a lot of light in in one corner, almost as a symbol of God and The Heavens in the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment